Aging is inevitable. The gradual loss of skin elasticity and gravity result in skin laxity, sagging and volume loss. Photoaged skin results in deep wrinkles, dullness, roughness and discoloration. Over the years everyday facial expressions create deep lines and grooves. Significant volume loss in the mid-face and veiny hands are telltale signs of aging.
Dermal fillers are a mainstay of cosmetic dermatology. In the right hands, they can enhance, rejuvenate and transform your appearance. Fillers are generally safe, but the results are technique dependent. That is why you want a cosmetic dermatologist who is intimately familiar with facial anatomy and has the skills and knowledge to achieve natural-looking results.
There are several types of fillers:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers are made from HA which is a natural sugar found in the body. HA fillers are very versatile and come in various densities and formulations for lift ability and longevity. They are effective to lift the skin, sculpt, contour and fill the thin skin that deflates causing undereye hollows.
- Restylane® Lyft and Juvederm® Voluma. These are thicker versions of hyaluronic injectable gel that instantly add volume to fill and gently lift your cheeks, restore contour to the mid-face, reverse signs of aging, and sculpt the jaw line for more youthful contours. They last 18 – 24 months.
- Restylane®, Juvederm® and Vollure® are thinner HA gels that are placed strategically to smooth moderate to severe wrinkles, correct imperfections, and instantly reverse signs of aging. Common areas treated include nasolabial folds (lines connecting nose to corners of the mouth), marionette lines (depressions next to chin), tear troughs (dents under eyes), lips (recreate structure or volume), or any fixed wrinkles at rest.
- Revanesse® Versa® is a hyaluronic acid filler used to treat nasolabial folds. It lasts 6-12 months.
- Juvederm Volbella® and Belotero Balance®, Restylane® Silk and Juvederm® Ultra are lighter and used to fill in fine lines in the upper lip. They last 6-9 months
- Belotero® is used to soften fine lines around the mouth and crow’s feet. Lasts 6-9 months.
- Radiesse® is a Calcium Hydroxyapatite filler. Radiesse temporarily rebuilds lost skin structure by promoting collagen production and provides immediate volume to help smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. It is great to treat mid-facial volume loss, jowls, nasolabial folds, and skeletal or veiny hands. Lasts 6-18 months.
- Sculptra® is a Poly- L-lactic Acid filler made of biodegradable man-made polymers. Sculptra corrects the aging effects of lost facial volume, creating lift, and smoothing moderate to severe winkles. It is used to treat nasolabial folds, jowling, chin wrinkles, cheek and temple hollows, and eliminating gauntness. Sculptra Aesthetic increases skin thickness gradually by stimulating collagen production for lasting rejuvenation. Although results can take some time to become apparent, the volumizing effects can last two or more years.
- Bellafill® is FDA approved to treat depressed acne scars.
Do filler injections hurt?
Topical numbing cream is applied to the treatment area to reduce or eliminate discomfort during injections. In addition, most of the formulations used to treat sensitive areas contain lidocaine, a numbing agent. Most patients describe the treatments as very tolerable.
What are the side effects?
Every patient is different but depending on the area treated, material used, and amount injected, some patients may experience mild bruising or slight swelling for a few days, perhaps up to a week. Typically, bruising is minimal enough that it can be covered with makeup. When you have your consultation, Dr. Kandula will provide you with instructions on how to prepare for your procedure, and what to expect.
How long will fillers last?
Despite the published literature on the lasting ability, the amount of filler injected, where it is used, and how you metabolize the filler will determine how long it lasts. Filler in the lips and smile lines may not last very long because the motion causes filler to break down more quickly.
In Parsippany, New Jersey, Dr. Swetha Kandula has an amazing tool box filled with anti-aging fixes that can turn back the clock. Contact Dr. Kandula to schedule a consultation and evaluation. Isn’t it time you did something good for yourself?!